Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Who Leads?

Lately, I've been thinking about Jesus and leadership. One question I have been asking myself is, "Does Jesus ever address leadership issues among his disciples?" I've been directed to a few verses where Jesus appears to be addressing the form of leadership among his disciples, or he is at least commenting on how the disciples should interact with each other. I would consider the disciples the early leaders of the church, and, therefore, I consider Jesus' comments regarding how they should relate to each other as comments on the type of leadership his body should mirror.

I'm not sure what comes first... leaders and then organizational structure built around the leaders or organizational structure and then leaders that mold to the organization. I tend to lean towards the former. If its the former, then leaders in the Kingdom of God have a critical impact on the form of the church, and this issue is not to be dealt with lightly. If its the latter, then we need to be sure about the teaching on the organization of the body. Either way, the idea of leadership has to be dealt with.

The way I see it, we can view leaders in the Kingdom of God in one of two ways. First, we can consider a leader a person who exhibits the character/quality of Jesus and His teachings and responds to life as Jesus would without regard for the traditions and demands of any organization. Second, we can consider a leader a person who has been trained to fit into the organizational office and functions in accordance with its demands while trying to exhibit the character/quality of Jesus. Can the two be combined? Probably, but I'm not ready to concede that yet. Am I splitting hairs by making them separate? Maybe, maybe not. Again, I'm not ready to make the judgement. What I am ready to do is to take a long hard look at what the Bible teaches.

I think I should start with the gospels since no one would know better how leadership within the Kingdom of God should look than Jesus. What did He teach His disciples? I know of at least once when two of the disciples asked to be leaders at His right and left hands, and Jesus made a point to correct their concept of leadership. That's what I am trying to get a grip on. I'm on the hunt for encounters like that and other teachings within the gospels that might give me some insight into the concept of leadership within the Body of Christ.

I'm sure there are other "leadership" verses in the New Testament, but right now I want to start with these. The following verses are the ones I am currently thinking about:

1. Matthew 20:25-28
2. Luke 22:25-26
3. Matthew 23:8-12

I have not reached any solid conclusions yet, and I would like to solicit comments from any readers concerning these verses. Once I have pondered them for a while, I'll post again.

Brandon

5 comments:

  1. Jesus seems to be redefining leadership in these passages. Leadership as the disciples knew and experienced it was not true leadership. I see Jesus restating the heart of what it means to lead. It's not primarily to receive "service" from others, but to give "service" to others. Jesus seems to be saying that just b/c someone has a leadership position or holds great power doesn't make them a great person. That perhaps they aren't even good leadership candidates at all. He told his followers that a "great" person is one who serves. Further, a leadership position inherently doesn't make anyone great. Instead, serving other does. These are the people we should aspire to imitiate. Not least Jesus himself. (Luke 22:27)

    P.S. I think this is interesting to think through as the '08 Election hoopla gathers steam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After spending some time reading and thinking about Matthew 20:25-28, I have a few observations that stuck out to me.

    1. The disciples mother asked Jesus to place her sons in positions of authority, but when Jesus answered her request he spoke to the sons not to her. I'm guessing they put her up to it, or at least did not stop her or correct her when she made the request. Were they mommas boys? Was she overbearing or just a pawn in their game to gain power?

    2. Could this passage be dealing with the natural tendencies of people to jockey for position rather than roll with the flow? Anybody know leaders within the body who always seem to be jockying for position...trying to land on top...get their name out...establish themselves though education or big events...? I think there is something to be said of the disciple who sits patiently in the background not wanting to be noticed...content with where he/she is and willing at any moment to serve when needed. To be last.

    3. Notice that even the other disciples got fired up when they heard of the request. My guess is that they too wanted to be in those positions and were angry with the brothers for being the first to ask. Someone beat them to it. Maybe they were waiting to see who Jesus would pick, and the brothers decided to take the initiative on their own. In a manner of speaking they jumped the gun. Something about the dialogue bothered the other disciples, and I think it would bother me. Something in it touched the very inner self. It startled pride. I think that inner drive to be noticed is in all of us. The inner drive to be better than someone else. I'm sure its in me. I dont like it, but, in honesty, its there. Just more evidence of how deeply we are affected by pride and the need for the approval of other people. To be esteemed and made much of... It seems to me, that although the dialogue was mainly between the two brothers their mother and Jesus that the other disciples, in the way they responded, proved that the message Jesus spoke was intended for all of them. Its not just the vocal ones that need to learn that pride is not the marker of kingdom living...humility is.

    Thats it for now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon,

    (I loved the comment about "the momma's boys". I think because I'm there so often myself.)

    My thought --
    In looking at Jesus' leadership you find 1) humility 2) love 3) WISDOM and 4) sacrifice.

    His Wisdom, is an interesting piece of the puzzle that I don't think we study enough - look at how Jesus knew the teachings of the old testament, the culture of his day and his purpose while on earth.

    I've been meditating on Phillipians 2:1-11, specifically 5-11, and in awe of his humility and what it meant for him -- but, how great was the reward!

    Proverbs is another book I've been in lately - it's full of some "wise" stuff. :)

    Maybe he didn't focus on being (or becoming) a leader. Maybe Jesus focused on being who his father desired him to be, and as result followers (ie disciples) wanted the same thing.

    (Guys, I hope it's okay that I joined. I'm thirsty for conversation. Chris)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, of course it is okay that you joined the conversation. Thanks for taking the time. I think you make a very interesting point about Jesus' wisdom - linking "wisdom" to what many would call "contextualization." I'm going to chew on that.

    Brandon, to your point about Jesus and leadership I wonder if it would help to turn the cliché "a leader is a servant" (with which I agree) upside down into "a servant is a leader." That seems to be, at least in part, Jesus' point in Matthew 23:11-12.

    In my mind when I hear "a leader is a servant" I think of a leader serving people as one of the many things he does but not the primary thing that he does. Whether I am right to think this or not, when I think a leader I think of an articulate speaker with a dynamic personality. When I really think about it I don't agree that those characteristics sum up leadership.

    Should I rather equate leadership and servant-hood? Some may say "no" citing the fact that a servant might not have the other characteristics of a leader, but is that flatly denying Jesus' words, "The greatest among you shall be your servant"? Is Jesus saying here, "Look at who is serving you, he is your leader"?

    The differences is subtle but significant I think.

    Am I making sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Chris! I hadn't thought much about wisdom being in the equation. Maybe because not many people ever mention it...I'll munch on that meaty comment for a while.

    Justin, I like the way you flipped the phrase. It is subtle, but, to me, it makes a big difference as well. Funny how our institutional hardwiring can even take over our comments without us even knowing it. How deep the programming dwells.

    ReplyDelete